.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

8.20.2005


the fast

I met with my wonderful accountability partner, Janelle, on Thursday. Among many things, we discussed the frequency in which I purchase unnecessary items. Please understand that I am on a continuous journey to be the kind of woman God made me to be. I stumble, I fall, I am human. I know the general public takes that to be hypocritical, but as My Man said, "Those of you without sin, cast the first stone." I think the importance of living down a hypocritical image is admitting your faults and showing the human side of Christianity. But I digress (that happens a lot with me).

These unnecessary items are starting to make a dent in our budget, so Janelle suggested a fast. Now, I knew you could fast from things other than food, but a fast from shopping had never entered my mind - probably because it sounded utterly preposterous to the fashionista side of me. Because Janelle felt a certain conviction about it as well, she decided that it was something we could do together. So, here we are: a couple of chicks dying to shop, but choosing not to and putting God in front of our minds when stores attempt to lure us in. This fast shall include (but is not limited to) the following items: clothing, accessories, shoes, home decor, excessive beauty products, pj's, entertainment items, DVDs, downloaded music and workout hear. We are allowed to purchase gifts for other people, but we cannot buy things for each other. Since unnecessary and excessive are subjective terms, we cannot purchase stuff for ourselves that only we consider necessary. Our husbands have to think it's necessary as well. I think Janelle might have an easier time getting Jackson to agree than I would with Justin, but I haven't proved my judgment in shopping to be the best in the past. See what a great start I'm off to? I'm already trying to find loop holes around our fast - like the people who give up desserts for lent, but do not count it a dessert if it's a main course.

I am a little daunted by the amount of time we decided to fast for - until Thanksgiving (that's third Thursday in November for you foreigners reading). I can't even spend my extra cash on this stuff. If I have extra cash in my pocket, I am supposed to put what I would spend on an item it into savings. Now, that's just crazy-talk to me, but I agreed to it. I am really viewing this as a jump-start on the life I want to live. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on this stuff, and it has only put me in debt. I am tired of being enslaved by debt and am ready to live a life fully committed to my beliefs.

So, here I go. Back on the wagon... I am looking forward to the bumpy ride and I expect a few splinters and a certain amount of aching. I'll survive. Right?

God, help me.

8 Comments:

At 8/22/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Jackson Left a note...

For downloaded music I suggest you fools check out napster to go. It doesn't work with ipods, but it does with some other mp3 players. 14.99/mo for unlimited mp3 downloading and transferring to your player. Anyway.

Janelle is totally awesome. I'm sure this fast you do together will be a good growing thing for you, and your savings account. Hehe.

 
At 8/23/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

Yeah, but the Napster thing is a monthly fee and when you cancel, you don't get to keep your music. With my adorable pink iPod (which is so muhc more than a simple MP3 player), I don't have a montly fee (and I never buy more than 10 songs a month) and then I get to keep my songs - and not have The Man take them away when I decide not to have the service any longer. So, you see? It's really not that beneficial for me to switch to Napster. My little pink iPod is my friend and I will not switch!

And, yes Frances, Apple and Macs do rule!!!

 
At 8/23/2005 8:10 PM, Blogger Ricky Left a note...

ive fallen off the star wars toys bandwagon recently. it hurts. i feel your pain.

 
At 8/23/2005 10:00 PM, Blogger steve Left a note...

Marla

Thank you for you prayers for little rebekah. The entire family is dear to my heart. I knwo that we all appreciate your prayers

 
At 8/24/2005 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

Napster takes all your music back when you cancel the subscription?

 
At 8/24/2005 8:55 AM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

This was taken from the Napster website in the fine, fine, hard to find print:
*It is necessary to maintain a Napster subscription in order to continue access to songs downloaded through the Napster service.

 
At 8/24/2005 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

that is the suck.

 
At 8/28/2005 10:37 PM, Blogger Jackson Left a note...

It's the suck, kinda. But you realize that as long as you have the subscription you don't need to buy other CD's. And you have unlimited access to practically everything out there. You also still have the option of paying 99 cents per song to download it and keep it forever. Many times there's stuff I want to listen to but don't necessarily want to buy and keep forever. Thusly, Napster is the way to go for me.

You know, I think I'm going to do a post on my blog about it this week.

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...