.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

8.02.2005


random day

If "random beans" was ever an appropriate name for my very own blog, it is today. I have had the oddest day.

I got yelled at by a crazy realtor who I can only assume must have been having a horrible morning, because she's normally so very nice. I felt really bad, because I dropped the ball on something. However, after she was mean to me I didn't really feel so bad about completely forgetting to do something. I would rather drop my foot in her butt, but that's neither here nor there.

I was great at work (still waiting to here from Mr. VP about a second interview and I'm feeling kind of squirrelly about it). We had a lunch meeting today, a client appreciation sort of thing, and that was when the weird stuff started happening. The room kinda of smelled like a clean, pet-grooming salon. Obviously it interrupted my appetite, but as it turns out the food wasn't good enough to whet it anyway. Then I saw the "My Goodness My Guinness" poster on the wall. When I studied in England, that poster was so disturbing to me. I mean, why did the ostrich swallow the Guinness whole? Wait, why is there an ostrich outside of the zoo? They are not indigenous to England, so I am not sure why nor where the Bobby abandoned his beer. It was just so odd to me whenever I would run into that poster. I have never seen it locally, though. So, I snapped it with my camera phone. When I tried to explain my confusiion and amusement with the poster to one lady she just looked at me blankly and told me some story about her trip to Ireland. Do you ever have people comment on what you have to say, but it doesn't even fit with what you said? I just sit in silence and stare at them. Blink... Blink...

So, we're at this luncheon and for some reason it's appropriate for my mom to start talking about how I was conceived... Yes, I am serious. Even though I am an adult, these conversations still bother me. It's just embarrassing. My parents got down and dirty in a corn field. And this leads to my mom's favorite saying for the past 28 years, "And her dad was smiling from ear to ear." Yuk, yuk.

To top it off: the nameplate at my seat was for Maria. Maria is actually my alter-ego. She follows me around to Starbucks, class rosters, into my mailbox and oh so many other places.

It's an "L" people, not an "i!"

4 Comments:

At 8/02/2005 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

What's a Bobby?

 
At 8/02/2005 5:25 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

It's a police officer. That's what they call them in England.

 
At 8/02/2005 7:46 PM, Blogger Ricky Left a note...

ahhhh 12 days without the marlaness. i have missed it. welcome back, me.

 
At 8/03/2005 9:37 AM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

Welcome back. Ricky.

-MarLA

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...