.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

1.22.2007


maple topping could never be good for you



I never pretended that a maple oat scone was good for you. I just never bothered to look at the nutrition facts for the treats I like. On Friday, I spent some time with a friend, who is also a Starbucks barista. He told me that the maple oat scone was the third worst pastry to get at Starbucks - giving us an outrageous figure of 49 grams of fat and 1200 calories. Imagine my horror as I recalled the balled-up pastry bag in my car - it still smelled like maple! I knew the darn thing was not good - but that was way worse than I ever imagined. So, with a sense of regret, I banned it's delicious maple-goodness from my life.

This morning, I decided to check the nutrition facts on all Starbucks foods. Well... OK, the scone is still not good for you, but my friend mis-quoted the figures - somehow more than doubling their numbers. However, as far as healthy food choices go, that scone IS THE WORST item in the case, rivaled only by the coffee cake and the apple fritter - which both have less fat than the scone. So, it's pretty bad, but if you ate salad with no dressing for the rest of the day and maybe a few non-fat yogurts, you wouldn't go over the daily allotment for fat or calories - that is, if you are a woman. You men get a lot more calories and fat per day... No fair! You already got standing while peeing!

8 Comments:

At 1/22/2007 1:47 PM, Blogger Kim Left a note...

You have the absolutely cutest blog I have ever seen!!!

I discovered the Starbucks cinnamon scone this past Christmas...yummm,please don't tell me that is bad!


Kim

 
At 1/22/2007 2:06 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

Thanks, Kim! I enjoy the inspiration you throw out there.

I have no idea about that scone. History tells us that (most of the time) if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Rest easy knowing that it's not in the top 3 of worst choices to make at your local Starbucks.

 
At 1/22/2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Deb Left a note...

See...I knew that there was SOMETHING good about living 50 miles from the nearest Starbucks!

...and men already have standing while peeing....too funny!

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm here more often than you think --I'll have to start commenting more often.

Something I've always wondered --your profile says that you like music inappropriate for your age...is that Barney and The Wiggles or Gaither Homecoming and Lawrence Welk? :)

 
At 1/23/2007 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

Mikey G says...
Hmmm... the maple scone is bad for you? Funny I never tried it because it didn't look too good. But now that I know how many calories and how much fat it has I should try it.

 
At 1/25/2007 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

if women tried the standing thing...would that make it even?

 
At 1/26/2007 11:25 AM, Blogger Jackson Left a note...

Didn't women used to pee standing up in the middle ages, and men sit down? I seem to recall learning that at one point women had these wooden tubes they would, er, use, to direct the flow, as it were. Anyway...of all the biological advantages (by advantages I mean "easier paths") men have why would you pick that one? We men have it easy in so many ways.

Unfortunately calories and fat still affect our bodies. If we could somehow be immune to fat, that would rock.

 
At 1/26/2007 5:43 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

As a neat/clean freak, I do think that the standing while peeing thing is pretty awesome when it comes to stadium, concert, gas station and miscellaneous other restroom locations. It comes in handy guys! Think about it! You don't really HAVE to touch anything in the bathroom! God must have known you would be prone to not washing your hands afterwards...

 
At 2/18/2007 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

My mom turned me onto your site and I just came over for a looky. I just ate one of those FAT MONGERS this morning, and yesterday morning! Uhhgg! I would have never guessed either. Thanks so much for the heads up. I will also be scratching that of my food list!

Love your blog!

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...