.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

3.02.2006


listen to my son

Peter said to Jesus, "Rabbi, it is good for us to be here. Let us put up three shelters - one for you, one for Moses and one for Elijah." (He did not know what to say, they were so frightened.) Then a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and a voice came from the cloud: "This is my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!" Mark 9:5-7

This little story is so telling of how the disciples really had to grow into greatness for God. Peter, James and John follow Jesus up this mountain - not really sure what he's up to. I'm sure part of them was always curious just to see what Jesus would do next. Then, weird stuff happens - Jesus' clothing turned blinding white and suddenly Moses and Elijah appear. Surely the disciples thought this was their next journey with Jesus. It was scary to them, I guess building a shelter made the most sense to Peter. But Jesus didn't ask them to do anything. God intervened, simply telling them to do what Jesus says. If that isn't simple life instruction from our Creator, I don't know what is. Those instructions, if followed to the tee, can take you all the way to the foot of the throne. Just keep your eye on Jesus, listen to him and do what he says - forget the rest.

When I feel like I'm not sure where my spiritual journey is headed, I can be like Peter - wanting to stop my journey to do something else, like building a shelter. Basically, I find myself on a me-path, doing my thing - pretending it's for God. But the thing is that sometimes Jesus doesn't ask me to do that. I'm sure he thinks I'm wasting my time, and I am - if I'm not listening to him. Sometimes fear drives me to my own agenda - just like Peter - fear and uncertainty. But what I should be doing is listening. Sometimes we don't get any direction until we just stop and listen. Even if I feel I'm doing things for God, I have to stop and make sure that I'm listening to Jesus.

For those of you wondering why I keep posting this stuff - it's because sometimes in my daily reading, something moves me and I want to share it. No explanation. Just a blogger with something on her mind. Even if she only blogs once a week.

1 Comments:

At 3/02/2006 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

No explanation necessary, I think it's cool..

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...