.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

7.14.2005


three in one, yet three separate

Our music pastor's favorite quote is, "You don't really know God." I think that is true, because while God Himself is unchanging, it seems that the more you know him, the more He is different. However, one thing I do not have a problem with is the trinity. I think it must be because I was raised Lutheran (Catholic-light, sans the saints, the prayers to Mary and the guilt) and went through catechism, where through memorizing different creeds (like Apostles and Nicene) we just accepted the concept of the trinity.

I am in a theology class at church and this was last night's topic. I completely understand how it may be a difficult concept, but I would have to be in that group of people who just don't focus on the all the facets, but take it at face value on faith. God is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. He is three in one and yet three separate. Each is God, but because they are three in one, we believe in one god. OK, I guess I don't usually try to explain it out like that. It IS hard to explain. Check out CARM's explanation of the trinity, because they really bring it home with back-up verses and detailed explanations. I would love to hear what any of you have to say about it.

5 Comments:

At 7/14/2005 3:22 PM, Blogger Ricky Left a note...

wish i could have stayed for the whole class, but i am in an indie film and had to be back on the set by 9pm in san jose.

anyway, i talked to mike spain about his quote. he said frances mis-quoted him. he said he never said that. sorry to rain on your parade. :(

i've never had a problem with the trinity either, i don't understand why it's a bone of contention with people.

 
At 7/14/2005 3:36 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7/14/2005 3:40 PM, Blogger Marla Bean Left a note...

RETRACTION: I don't know whose quote it is, but I have to admit that "you don't really know God" is a great quote, no matter who said it or claimed it to be a favorite. (And yes, my parade is quite soggy, now!) But I think the quote makes sense. As Pete G. said last night, we can't fully understand Him, because we aren't holy and we are finite beings who cannot fully understand infinite things. Therefore we do not really know Him.

Yeah, we know why you and your wife REALLY left. Sure, an Indie film. Whatevs. It was the snacks, wasn't it?

 
At 7/14/2005 5:50 PM, Blogger Nettie Left a note...

I guess I jsut always took the Trinity for granted, although I'm sure I was, I don't remember being specifically taught about it. But that was really good, especially for those unfamiliar with the doctrine. I thought the analogy to states of matter made a lot of sense, too.

 
At 7/16/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger Jackson Left a note...

Marla - your original post says "Each is a God, but because they are three in one..." Each is not A God, but rather, each is God. See, I can nitpick all the way from Kona! Wish I could have been present for the class. Oh well, next week I'll be back. Or rather, week after.

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...