.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

9.22.2008


update for the blog

I can't even begin to thank you for all of the prayers, all of the love and all of the support we have been receiving. I have never seen such a flood of love and all of us will be touched by it for our entire lives.

Things with the fire resolution are progressing. A forward motion is very welcome. And although the roof work will not begin for another 3 weeks or more, I am starting to recover from the shock. This week I get to continue to go through more of our charred, black, ruined belongings. It did not take long to discover that I don't really care that much about the "stuff." It's just stuff. It's sad to lose my photos and sentimental items, but they are not what's important. And what is, can never be taken from us. Of course, I will always miss Starbuck, but I remain grateful for her companionship, she was truly a wonderful, loving pet.

They say that losing a home is likened to losing a loved one. I can definitely relate to the grieving process. And there are times when I get overwhelmed with the thought of it all, but I try to look at the good that can come out of it. I understand what it means to take some blind steps of faith and just trust that God will take care of us. We have lept off many steep, dark, bleak caverns and we have every reason to believe that, through Christ, we will continue to land on our feet in the light. My family has bonded in a way that I never knew we could and I think that this experience will strengthen us as a unit and as individuals.

I can honestly say that I have little care for the trivial. And I think I have FINALLY learned not to save things for a special occasion. Every day you have your family and loved ones around you is a gift. I have spent so many years saving things for a special moment, only for them to be gone without ever being used. So, no more!

As Paul has said to me - I don't think we'll ever say that fire was a good thing. But God will use it for his glory. I can say that I truly believe all things happen for a reason and that I can choose to dwell on the negative or I can focus on the good that has and will come out of this horrible situation. My family has chosen the later. Of course, that's much easier typed than practiced, but we will live differently forever.

Crossroads is an amazing church. I have never witnessed anything like what they have done for us. We have never felt alone in these weeks after the disaster. As someone who has been attending and leading at Crossroads for over 8 years, I never fully understood the all-encompassing feeling of family and community until this. Maybe that's because I spent so much energy denying help, but accepting it when we desperately needed it turned out to be a humbling, beautiful gift. It's difficult to accept help when you feel you don't deserve it.

Our pastors Paul and Freddy were on the scene of the fire and brought us food and shoes and met our needs in so many practical ways. But on a spiritual level, it was much more than food and shoes. They were the arms of Christ to bring us comfort.

For all of the rest of you who have prayed for us, sent us kind words, checked in on us, brought us food, sent us gift cards, donated clothes, gave us a fully-loaded backpack and donated toys over the past few weeks - you, too, have been the arms of Christ. We do not take your generosity lightly, but with grateful, humble hearts.

1 Comments:

At 9/26/2008 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

Love you very much...the lot of you.

And although I have known you to be a strong woman of faith and grace, I continue to be impressed and inspired by you in these trying days.

Carry on. ;)

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...