.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

10.15.2006


sick and questioning

Well, it's official. I am sick. I seem to get the flu whenever I have been running too hard for too long.

I need advice. You see, I have a really hard time saying "no." When it comes to serving God, I feel like there is no such thing as "no." How can you say no to Christ?

So, about four months ago, I made the decision to take a break from the team that I lead. This is not a responsible thing for a leader to do, but there was no one to take over and I felt like I was going to snap. I started to feel afraid to step through the church doors, because I knew someone was going to ask something of me and I wouldn't be able to say no. So I have been on hiatus. My intent was to take a break and come back feeling refreshed. I have not reached the refreshed point. It seems like the break actually took me further way from my ministry and lead me in a different direction.

I recently worked on a mail out for the church and I really felt like I was pushing through it, but not doing it joyfully. I love design work. I really do. But for some reason this project just sucked the creativity right out of me and I was not happy with the end product. This is a piece that went out to 50,000 homes! I feel like I totally failed for God, because I didn't have my heart in the right place.

I feel drained and emotionally empty from life. My dad hasn't been doing well (in fact he was recently hospitalized due to complications with his chemotherapy drugs). That weighs heavily on my soul. My stupid THREE jobs keep me insanely busy and overworked. Lately I have had a rush of important events to be a part of, I have a social schedule from hell and work that keeps piling up on me. I feel like I'm running, running, running and not getting anywhere. I am almost glad that I'm sick so that I have a legitimate reason to stay in bed today. What is wrong with me?

Here's the really bad part: I am supposed to be putting together the church newsletter and I just am not into it. In fact, I resent people asking me about it. I even resent the church staff for asking me about it. I know it's all me. I know I am the one who's over committing. I think a part of me was hoping that people would be more understanding about why things aren't getting done. But I understand that life goes on and cannot wait for me. The church is doing a huge push for fund-raising and increasing attendance (we're trying to build a bigger building to fit everyone). So it's a paradox, I guess. It makes sense that I should be saying yes, but the whole thing makes me consider leaving my church - just so I don't have a to deal with it.

I don’t know if it’s safe for me to be there and in a place of leadership. I am not embodying their vision. I feel so selfish, guilty and embarrassed that I just can’t seem to pull it together. What would you do?

2 Comments:

At 10/15/2006 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

i know how you feel. when you have as much going on as you do, it starts to feel like everything is impossible. putting time into one thing means neglecting another, and pretty soon you resent everything except staying in bed (and for me, maybe watching tv). but even then, you eventually feel guilty for it.

what would i do? hard to say, but i wouldn't give up just yet. could you try delegating? you don't want to do the newsletter (and i would argue that at this point you shouldn't, because you probably won't be happy with it no matter what). but i know you don't want to flake on it either. there must be somebody else in the congregation who can pick up the slack -- maybe somebody you've helped out in the past. people like helping! it won't hurt to ask.

good luck.

 
At 10/16/2006 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous Left a note...

you tell me what you need for me to do with the newsletter. Offload anything, everything, i'm happy to help lighten your load where you need it. I may not have your design chops, but i'm willing to learn, help, and have access to all the crazy design software at work.

 

Post a Comment


It's 'bean' fun...

Back to the daily grind...